Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for Nostalgic

N is for...Nostaglic

There is one place that, upon hearing it's name, brings back good feelings and happy memories...


Long before Six Flags bought Great America, in Gurnee, IL, it was known as Marriott's Great America. It was the amusement park that my family frequented almost every year.  To this day, I can close my eyes and see the Zenith sign as we neared the park. I can hear Baker's Street playing on the car radio. And I can picture the roller coasters that peaked high above the park that were visible shortly before the entrance to the amusement park. As a kid, I'd stare at those coasters as we drove by, watching as the car halted at the top of the biggest hill before slowly lurching forward, picking up speed with the passengers screaming for their lives. I swore I'd never ride that ride.

In fifth grade, thanks to some peers that were braver than me, I went on my first BIG rollercoaster...and it was the ride I swore I'd never go on. The American Eagle was a very tall and fast wooden coaster. You begin by climbing a very big hill, a very big hill that many cars have been stuck atop. Once you reach the top you slowly inch over the peak and let gravity pull you toward the Earth. The scary part was at one point the track seemed to disappear beneath us. I know that on my first ride I began screaming before the car even began it's descent, but my volume steadily increased as we plummeted to the ground below.

But I survived it! So what was next? Why the Demon of course! The Demon had a big hill, 2 loops, and a few corkscrews as well. Great America was also where my friends and I visited the day after our senior prom. There are many, many happy memories of feeling alive, being young and free, and being in love tied to this place and that is why I feel nostalgic at the mere mention of it.



the Sky Tower

 What makes you feel nostalgic?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nostalgic? Our open air swimming pool. I used to go there regularly in summer when I was a kid. The good thing is that it's still full of kids in the afternoon. Then they leave to go home for supper - and this two last opening hours is the time for the grown ups ;-)

ClaoWue
from
Potpourri

DA Roach said...

I love it. I wish we could let the kids be free to do as they please as we were when young. I used to play outside all day till my dad whistled. We have too many construction people (strangers & break-ins) while the neighborhood gets built. Hopefully we can be more lax when the last house is built.

DA Roach said...

I love it. I wish we could let the kids be free to do as they please as we were when young. I used to play outside all day till my dad whistled. We have too many construction people (strangers & break-ins) while the neighborhood gets built. Hopefully we can be more lax when the last house is built.

-Tommy said...

I yearn for old New York of the 7-s and 80s. We had a gritty dirty vibrant city full of creatives. now it's glass towers and rampant sterile gentrification. Meh.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Places where I grew up. Old swings on trees. Sandy foot paths in grasslands. Fluffy cloud days. Certain songs, poems, books, pictures, flowers, lullabies. So many things.

Best wishes for the rest of the challenge
Nilanjana
Madly-in-Verse

DA Roach said...

I've never been...going to NY this summer to see the glass towers you speak of ;)

DA Roach said...

Nilanjana,

I can picture all those things in my head. I'm sure the emotions these images invoke are powerful.

DA Roach said...

Nilanjana,

I can picture all those things in my head. I'm sure the emotions these images invoke are powerful.

**AUDIO TOUR With Giveaway** Cross by D.A. Roach

Abibliophobia Anonymous Book Reviews: **AUDIO TOUR With Giveaway** Cross by D.A. Roach : Title: Cross Author: D.A. Roach ...